I’ve been planning a STALKER RPG for a few months, and I ran the first session on Saturday. The ruleset is a simple d100 system (roll under your stat to pass the test, get bonuses based on your actions, skills and equipment). It plays similarly to Dark Heresy, but with more of a focus on adventure, combat and loot.
As it is set in our home city after a terrible accident, I asked the players to submit 4 ideas for places, factions, encounters or monsters. This built the setting and gave them a stake in the story. The players must enter the Zone of Alienation and face dangerous anomalies, mutants and bandits. Only your quick wits, fast talk and sharp eyes can bring back the swag, and make you rich.
- A former inhabitant of Mosney who seeks revenge against a monster that killed other refugees. His trouble is trauma from his powerlessness at that time.
- A civil servant turned stalker who uses his infrastructure knowledge to move unmolested through the Zone. His trouble is naivety – he is trusting and overshares info when he should not.
- Over-under shotgun and 10 shells. (1d10 damage, 30m range, minimum 5 damage. 2 shells in barrel.)
- Hunting rifle and 2 reloads of 5 (.303) rounds (1d10 damage, 100m range, minimum 2 damage, Aimed Shot, armour pen 2, 5 rounds in magazine)
- SMG and 2 reloads of 30 rounds. (1d10 damage, 50m range, autofire for 3 shots, using 10 rounds. 30 shots in magazine.)
- large hand weapon 2d10 damage in close combat
- Bag of bolts for detecting anomalies. You have a bunch of small screws and nuts, and 3 large nuts wrapped in a cloth. You can throw these to check an area for lethal anomalies – this takes time and skill.
- Your PDA – it tracks any info you get, and lets you know if any stalkers with PDAs are in the area. Can send and receive messages.
- Medkit (heal 5 wounds and stop bleeding), 3 bandages (heal 1 wound and stop bleeding), bottle of vodka for radiation sickness.
- Gas mask against radioactive particles and chemical anomalies.
- Swiss army knife. Binoculars. Maps. Canned food for 1 day.
- A smoke grenade, fuel and 2 pipebombs filled with nails – can be set as traps
- Stalker Suit (2 armour against melee and bullets, 1 armour against anomalies)
- Guitar with drugs of your choice hidden in the body.
- Radiation-hardened laptop, access keys, hacking kit.
This is filled into the character sheet, which is modified from the Roadside Picnic RPG:
- Fighting – a combination of shooting, melee and tactics.
- Awareness – passive and active perception.
- Fitness – your strength and toughness.
- Agility – fine motor skills and balance.
- Charisma – your charm and ability to lead, negotiate and lie.
- Intellect – your ability to think on your feet or perform complex technical tasks.
- Willpower – resist pain, fear and psychic attack.
- ZONE – allows you to re-roll that many dice per session, and also governs your luck and intuition in the Zone.
The next post will cover some specifics of the game world we have created.